I decided to explore the trend of the past decade to see what the data says about the career preferences of IIT graduates.
- Data is only about undergraduates (b.tech + M.Tech + M.Sc. integrated courses) – I removed data about post-graduates since I have seen that they usually follow a different career trajectory than undergraduates.
- It is based on the year of entrance to IIT and not the year of graduation.
- Few alumni went to Europe, Singapore, Korea, Middle-east, Australia, and Africa. This is not covered in the graphs.
- Data covers only IITK alumni. I did not have the data for the rest.
- Data covers all departments.
- The anomaly in 1997 (year of graduation=2001) is probably due to the dot-com bust and recession in the US economy in 2001.
I do believe that graphs are good enough to draw qualitative conclusions but due to the aforementioned limitations, I would suggest the reader refrain from drawing any quantitative conclusions.
The graphs are based on the data provided by Cherian Varkey Mathew.