I am a software engineer and an angel investor based out of the San Francisco bay area. This page is mostly a collection of curated articles that I have written and tools that I have built.
More professional info is on LinkedIn. You can email me at ashishb AT ashishb.net.
Blog posts & Tools
If you are an infrastructure engineer consider my Docker 101 blog post and then read how you can deploy web services essentially with zero fixed costs. Afterward, you might like reading about the pitfalls of Docker’s scratch image. You might love or hate me for questioning the serverless functions lock-in.
- My dotfiles contain some of the best tools and setups for an engineer related to Android, infrastructure, and Web3 engineering
- A backend template to kickstart Go-based projects on Google Cloud Run
- A date parsing library for Go that guesses the format and parses any dates
If you are a DevOps person, you would enjoy the common pitfalls of GitHub Actions. If you use bash, consider making it more robust, this check would have prevented me from deleting my full disk! I did that once.
- GitHub Actions Boilerplate generator
- CircleCI analysis tool
- Spammy/dead outbound link checker for your blog
- Always test code along the axis of minimum change.
- Test resumable uploads/downloads – this will save bandwidth and latency for both you and your users
- Check for missing network timeouts in your network requests
- adb-enhanced is a swiss-army knife for Android development
- Auto Translate Android app GitHub action to translate non-English languages. I use it for MusicSync and VoiceNotes.
- androidtool – a better Android CLI tool
- Collection of live Android malware samples for research
- The most comprehensive Android Security tools list
- VoiceNotes – A quick and easy Android app to record location-tagged voice notes on the go
- MusicSync – A Google Play Music replacement Android app that can play files from SDcard, Google Drive, the web, and podcasts
If you are a Product Manager, you would enjoy reading some of my product-related posts
- Why indeterminate progress bars are bad
- How to write better emails to users
- Why audio startups fail
- When marketplaces work and don’t work