- Multitasking – multi-window mode and picture-in-picture mode. This includes the ability to launch window in adjacent activity, and drag and drop between activities.
- Notifications – Custom quick settings tile for an activity
- Multi-locale – users can specify locale beyond their primary locale
- ScopedDirectoryAccess for the shared storage
- New file-level encryption mode (as opposed to block-level encryption) and the corresponding Direct Boot
- Java 8, Jack, and ndk support in Gradle
- GCC deprecated in favor of Clang
TechTalk on Image size/compression
- PNG – Get image down to 256-bit palette (if possible) or compress them using Zopfli. Test the difference with butteraugli
- Convert PNG to Vector drawable using Potrace. Vector drawable are natively supported on Android 5.0 and above. Use compat to use them on the older versions. Or generate PNG for the older versions (not recommended)
- WebP is another option (Note: Speaker failed to mention that WebP is natively supported only on Android).
- Avoid JPEGs. They are usually larger in size.