Alaska is huge, in a 4-day trip, one can either do northern (Arctic) part or the southern part. We did the latter. Here is the itinerary we followed.
- Day 0 – Land in Anchorage, drive four hours to Denali national park.
- Day 1 – Take Kantishna bus tour of Denali national park. Driving inside the park is not allowed.
- Day 2 – Hike to Mt. Healy. Hike on Matanuska Glacier. Hiking on the glacier is highly recommended if you have never walked on ice before.
- Day 3 – Hike on Harting Icefield trail. It is an amazing hike next to a glacier.
- Day 4 – Take a day cruise at Whittier to Blackstone bay. Do check the weather, when we did it snowing heavily and that spoiled the cruise a bit. The cruise is definitely overpriced compared to other cruises I have done in the United States.
- Public transport is almost non-existent. Rent a car right from the airport.
- Vegetarian food can be a bit hard to come by but thankfully, Subways are everywhere.
- Carry pepper spray or walk in groups to avoid bears.
- Do carry a good jacket since rainfall/snowfall starts arbitrarily.
- The tunnel to Whittier in one-way and switches direction every 30 minutes. Do check it’s schedule.