I decided to explore the trend of past one decade to see what the data says about career preferences of IIT graduates.
- Data is only about under graduates (b.tech + m.tech + msc integrated courses) – I removed data about post-graduates since I have seen that they usually follow a different career trajectory than under graduates
- It is based on year of entrance to IIT (and not year of passing)
- Few alumnis went to Europe, Singapore, Korea, Middle-east, Australia and Africa. (not covered in the graphs)
- Data covers only IITK alumni (I did not have the data of the rest)
- Data covers all departments.
- The anomaly at 1997 (year of graduation=2001) is probably due to the dot-com bust and recession in USA economy in 2001.
I do believe that graphs are good enough to draw qualitative conclusions but due to aforementioned limitations, I would suggest the reader to refrain from drawing any quantitative conclusions.
The graphs are based on the data provided by Cherian Varkey Mathew